Wednesday 24 February 2010

You think that's pretty clever, don't you boy?

I really don’t care how uncool or physics-student-locked-in-his-bedroom-all-alone cliché Radiohead are, I freaking love them.



High & Dry, All I Need and No Surprises are my top 3 songs for shocking flashbacks and nostalgia through my skull when I least expect it, those chords literally pull on your heartstrings. Clever-clever, amazing wonderful Thom Yorke.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

There’s something decidedly Creepy about a bunch of starched white shirted kids, stock still, angelically crooning

“A heart that's full up like a landfill,
a job that slowly kills you,
bruises that won't heal.
You look so tired-unhappy,
bring down the government,
they don't, they don't speak for us.
I'll take a quiet life,
a handshake of carbon monoxide”

Because it’s unlikely that they have a clue about what the words they are singing, what they have no doubt practised for weeks, really mean.

Radiohead can be an antidote for that modern apathy at life, but good Lord sometimes it can be the wrong idea to wallow in this vein.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I think of the first time I head Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon: an album heard since childhood, it finally hooked me, and in a candlelit room these lyrics scared the shit out of me:

All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste
All you feel.
All that you love
All that you hate
All you distrust
All you save.
All that you give
All that you deal
All that you buy,
beg, borrow or steal.
All you create
All you destroy
All that you do
All that you say.
All that you eat
And everyone you meet
All that you slight
And everyone you fight.
All that is now
All that is gone
All that's to come
and everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic


Kudos to Stella from the Off The Wall tribute band for fighting off heckles from various middle aged losers to belt out a gorgeous rendition of Great Gig in the Sky, bring a tear to my Dad’s eye.

http://www.go2offthewall.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment